The OurPet’s Company (OurPet’s) develops and markets products for improving the health, safety, comfort, and enjoyment of pets. The products sold have increased from the initial Big Dog Feeder ® to approximately 800 products for dogs and cats, as well as a small number of wild bird feeders. Sold globally, the company’s products are marketed under the brand names – OurPets ® for the Pet Specialty channel, Pet Zone ® for food, drug and mass chains and Petastic ® for the value channel. The Company’s sub-brands Play-N-Squeak ®, Cosmic Catnip TM, Go! Cat! Go! ®, Durapet ®, SmartScoop ® and Flappy ® have become well known in the pet industry.In total, OurPet’s has an intellectual property portfolio featuring more than 160 individual patents, giving the company sustainable access to the pet products industry for the foreseeable future.
Our management originally founded Napro, Inc. (“Napro”), an Ohio corporation, in 1985 as an enterprise for launching new ventures and acquiring companies in various lines of business. In 1996, Napro formed a wholly owned Ohio subsidiary, Virtu Company (“Virtu”), to market proprietary products to the retail pet business under the OurPets ® label. Napro changed its name to OurPet’s Company effective March 19, 1998. In January 2006, OurPet’s purchased substantially all the assets of Pet Zone, a competitor that manufactured and distributed cat, dog and bird feeders, storage bins, and cat and dog toys to the pet specialty, mass retailers and grocery chains. In July 2010, OurPet’s purchased substantially all the assets of Cosmic Pet Products, a leading provider of catnip products, cat toys and other cat products such as scratchers and cat treats.
In April 2015, OurPet's purchased seven bow/feeder products, including the molds, from Molor Products. In December 2016, the Company formed a wholly owned subsidiary named Series OP (OurPet's) of NMS Insurance Company, LLC and joined NMS Insurance Company;s group captive insurance program to self-insure again certain business losses. Also in December 2016 the Company formed another wholly owned subsidiary, OurPet's DISC, INC., an Ohio corporation whose purpose is to maximize the IRS tax deductibility laws as they pertain to product of at least at 51% US content being sold to countries outside the US.
OurPet’s expects to continue this trend of growing through both new product development and strategic acquisitions in the coming years. Our mission is “To exceed pet and pet parent expectations with innovative solutions.”
- Sales increased by approximately $3,251,000, or 13.6%, to $27,070,160 in 2016 from $23,819,189 in 2015. Volume increases accounted for most of this growth with sales to national chains accounting for about 89% of the increase. Sales to national chain customers increased by approximately $2,810,000 from 2015 to 2016, followed by sales to distributors, which grew by approximately $181,000 during the same time period. Net income increased by $807,681, from $1,336,912 in 2015 to $2,144,593 in 2016.
- Product Offerings: OurPet’s offers approximately 1,000 exciting proprietary products specifically related to healthy feeding systems, interactive toys, healthy consumables, and cat and dog maintenance products. OurPet’s has been granted 93 U.S. and international patents and an additional 58 are pending. OurPet’s has also obtained 62 trademarks and has another 24 pending. Through its product development efforts, OurPet’s hopes to introduce new, exciting products each year.
- Marketing Channels: OurPet’s has built an extensive domestic and international marketing network that allows a growing number of products to be sold at continually improving economies of scale. The company’s products are marketed through pet specialty distributors and retail chains such as PetSmart and Petco, grocery chains such as Kroger and Publix, mass retailers such as Wal-Mart and Kmart, catalogs such as Drs. Foster & Smith, and E-commerce websites. Overseas sales in the United Kingdom, Japan, Canada, Australia, etc. are through local, independent representatives/distributors.
- Informational Systems and Controls: Information systems have been implemented and ERP capabilities have been established with key accounts. This is very important as major retailers are quickly moving toward paperless transactions – from order placement and confirmation to invoice payment.
- The OurPet’s Team currently consists of 52 full-time employees. The company’s President and Founder, Dr. Steven Tsengas, BS Engineering, MS Business/Behavioral Sciences, Ph.D. Natural Health/Nutrition, has successfully launched over half a dozen companies. Dr. Tsengas has extensive technical knowledge related to pet nutrition, behavior and geriatrics as well as advanced materials and manufacturing processes. OurPet's has a well-balanced, professional team in terms of skills and experience; e.g. marketing and sales, finance, product development and manufacturing/distribution.
In order to effectively handle the anticipated rapid revenue growth and achieve consistent profitability and high return-on-investment (ROI), OurPet’s dynamic organization focuses on product development, marketing and distribution and subcontracts its manufacturing operation and various other activities to strategic partners throughout the world. This strategy allows OurPet’s to focus on solving problems and taking timely advantage of opportunities without developing "tunnel vision." OurPet’s makes best use of expertise available throughout the world and realizes a higher ROI by making a concerted effort to not commit its limited financial resources to purchasing buildings and other capital equipment with long payback periods.