Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
INFORMATION THE OURPET'S CO. GATHERS AND TRACKS
The OurPet’s Co. gathers two types of Personally Identifiable Information (or “PII”) which can be used to identify users:
- Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to register your warranty, receive our electronic newsletters and coupons, to participate in our message boards or forums, to email a friend, and from participation in polls and surveys. Information requested may include your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, etc., as well as demographic information. This data is aggregated and analyzed so we can learn more about our customers, their purchasing behavior and habits, and product needs.
- Information The OurPet’s Co. gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our Site. This information allows us to better tailor our content to readers’ needs and to help us better understand the demographics of our audience. Aggregated information may include non-personally identifiable information such as the general traffic, site usage and length-of-stay information. Aggregated information may also include IP (Internet Protocol) address, browser type, and operating system of visitors to the Site, pages viewed on the Site, or search terms entered. This sort of information is shared only in the aggregate and does not personally identify you.
- Our Site also allows you to contact us directly with questions or comments regarding our products. This process requires you to give us certain personal information so that you may answer your questions. All opinions, ideas, suggestions, and other feedback submitted via email or the Site is the property of The OurPet’s Co. and may be used by The OurPet’s Co. without any restriction and free of charge.
The OurPet’s Co. Gathers User Information in the Following Processes:
Optional Voluntary Information.
We offer the following free services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
- Electronic newsletters and coupon dispatches. We may offer our Site users a free electronic newsletter. Users can subscribe to the newsletters at the time of registration. The OurPet’s Co. gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter that points users to the subscription management page.
- Message boards/forums. Users of the Site’s Message Boards and Forums must register separately for these services (both are free of charge) in order to post messages, although they needn’t register to visit the Site. During registration the user is required to supply a username, password, and email address. The OurPet’s Co. reserves the right to monitor the Site’s Message Boards and Forums and to remove, without notice, any material that is obscene, harassing, infringes any third party’s intellectual property rights or that The OurPet’s Co., in The OurPet’s Co.’s sole discretion, deems inappropriate.
- “E-mail this to a friend” Service. We may offer our Site users the ability to electronically forward a link, page, or documents to someone else by clicking “e-mail this to a friend”. The user must provide their email address, as well as that of the recipient. This information is used only in the case of transmission errors and, of course, to let the recipient know who sent the email. The information is not used for any other purpose.
- Polling. We may offer interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what our audience thinks about important issues. Opinions or other responses to polls are aggregated and are not identifiable to any particular user. The OurPet’s Co. may use a system to “tag” users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
- Surveys. The OurPet’s Co. may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our sponsors, advertisers and partners.
Consistent with the Federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent.
The OurPet’s Co. tracks user traffic patterns throughout the Site. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. The OurPet’s Co. does break down overall usage statistics according to a user’s domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user’s browser).
The OurPet’s Co. sometimes tracks and catalogs the search terms users enter in our search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual users. We use tracking information to determine which areas of our Site users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
USE OF INFORMATION
The OurPet’s Co. uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience of the Site, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the Site or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and coupons and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We may send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. The OurPet’s Co. never shares newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our Site users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas, we do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don’t track which terms a particular user enters.
The OurPet’s Co. creates aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns for advertisers, sponsors and partners. This allows our advertisers to advertise more effectively, and allows our users to receive advertisements that are pertinent to their needs. Because we don’t track the usage patterns of individual users, an advertiser or sponsor will never know that a specific user clicked their ad. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
SHARING OF THE INFORMATION
The OurPet’s Co. uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs and help our advertisers and ourselves better understand our audience’s demographics. This is essential to keeping our service free. We will not share information about individual users with any third party, except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
The OurPet’s Co. has implemented and maintains physical, administrative and electronic security measures with regard to the Site that are designed to safeguard your information from improper access or use. For example, when collecting, using or transmitting sensitive electronic information such as credit card information, we encrypt the transmission. We also maintain physically secured locations for server operations, use technological safeguards such as firewalls, password protection, and encryption, and limit access to sensitive information to those individuals with a legitimate business need to access such information.
We ask that you assist us in maintaining the safety and security of the secure sections of the Site. We suggest that you create and use passwords that are not easily guessed by others, and that include at least 8 characters, including both letters and numbers, or special characters, and mix uppercase with lowercase text. We also recommend you safeguard your password to prevent unwanted disclosure.
The e-mail functionality on the Site does not provide a completely secure and confidential means of communication. It’s possible that your e-mail communication may be accessed or viewed by another Internet user while in transit to us. If you wish to keep your communication private, please do not communicate with us by e-mail.
LINKS TO AFFILIATE SITES
OPT-IN / OPT-OUT POLICY
We give users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
- Opting not to register to receive our electronic newsletters. We ask customers that wish to receive special offers from us such as coupons, pet-related tips, special offers and new product information to “Opt-in” when they register their product warranty or ask to be placed on our email list.
- Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which alleviates the need to gather any Personally Identifiable Information from our users in those interactive areas.
The OurPet’s Co. respects your privacy, and wants you to feel comfortable with how your information is protected. Should you have questions or concerns about the privacy of your information, if you have any information regarding the unauthorized use of the site or any forum or message board, or if you elect to no longer receive newsletters or other communications from The OurPet’s Co., we encourage you to contact our Privacy Office at:
The OurPet’s Company
Attn: Privacy Office
1300 East Street
Fairport Harbor, OH 44077